Save energy, save the environment
Although it may not be obvious, there's a direct connection between your energy use and the environment. When you consume less power, you reduce the amount of toxic fumes released by power plants, conserve the earth's natural resources and protect ecosystems from destruction. By taking steps to reduce your energy intake, you'll contribute to a healthier and happier world.
Protect the air and prevent climate change
Perhaps the most notable way that reducing energy helps the environment is by decreasing power plant emissions. To generate electricity, most power plants burn coal, crude oil or other fossil fuels. Although this method of creating energy is relatively inexpensive, our planet pays the price – carbon dioxide, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides are just a few of the byproducts that come from traditional methods of power generation.
Carbon dioxide, which accounts for the majority of all airborne pollution, is a greenhouse gas. When carbon dioxide is released into the air, it absorbs the sun's warmth and keeps heat in our atmosphere. This "greenhouse effect" is a natural phenomenon, and it's necessary for survival on earth. However, as power plants burn more fuel to create more energy, the extra carbon waste traps too much heat. This can have a detrimental impact on our land and our lives. Effects of greenhouse gas emissions include:
- Rising temperatures, heat waves and drought
- Higher sea levels
- Abnormal weather patterns
- Increased intensity of natural disasters
- Smog and acid rain
Cutting back on energy consumption reduces the amount of electricity that power plants have to make, subsequently reducing the amount of fossil fuels that are burned each day. Even a small change can make a tremendous difference – if every American household traded in just one incandescent light bulb for an efficient CFL, the reduction in pollution would be equivalent to taking 1.3 million cars off the road.
Conserve limited natural resources
When you opt to cut back on energy use, you also help conserve limited natural resources that would otherwise be used to power the power plants. Less demand for energy creates less demand for harvesting fossil fuels. Turning off the lights at night or washing clothes in cold water can save trees, coal, natural gas and more. From an economic standpoint, it's critical to conserve our finite resources. As fossil fuels become increasingly scarce, they will become extremely expensive.
Save ecosystems and animals
In addition to impacting climate patterns and depleting stores of natural resources, excessive energy use can harm animals and ecosystems. Mining, logging and material extraction associated with the provision of fossil fuels destroys habitats on land and in the ocean. Human-induced air pollution is one of the main reasons that biodiversity is disappearing at 1,000 times the normal extinction rate.
Oil spills, which often occur during the transport of fossil fuels, wreak havoc on underwater species and throw of the chemical balance of our oceans, making it dangerous for humans to swim.
Although the EPA has set regulations to reduce chemical dumping, the toxic waste created by power plants hasn't disappeared. Coal-fired power plants are reportedly the largest source of toxic water pollution in the U.S. Each year, these energy plants discharge billions of tons of poisonous waste, often containing arsenic, mercury and lead.
Consume less, conserve more
Reducing electricity use in your home – or going off the power grid with solar energy –can benefit the environment, conserve resources and save lives. Although your own energy saving adjustments may seem inconsequential, small steps become great leaps when multiplied by 7 billion.
Save water is an initiative to promote water conservation among people in order to maintain the presence of clean water on the earth in future. Clean water scarcity has become one of the big problems in India and other countries all over the world affecting people’s lives in many ways. This big problem cannot be solved alone or only a group of some people, it is the problem which needs global efforts of people together. We have provided various essay on save water under different words limit to help students during their exam times or essay writing competitions. You can select any save water essay given below according to your need and requirement.
Essay on Save Water
Save Water Essay 1 (100 words)
Save water is the water conservation for solving the problems of water scarcity in the future. In many regions of the India and other countries there is much shortage of water and people have to go for long distance to get drinking and cooking water to fulfill daily routine. On the other hand, people are wasting more water than their daily need in the regions of sufficient water. All of us need to understand the importance of water and problems related to lack of water in the future. We should not waste and contaminate useful water in our life and promote water saving and conservation among people.
Save Water Essay 2 (150 words)
Water is the most precious gift to the humanity by the nature. Life on the earth is possible only because of water. Three-fourth surface of the earth is covered by the water even after people are suffering from water scarcity in many regions of the India and other countries. Difficulties faced by the people in various regions because of water scarcity teach us to conserve and save water in order to protect the water environment, save life and save world.
Water is the most essential source of life on the earth as we need water in every walk of life like drinking, cooking, bathing, washing, growing crops, plants, etc. We should save water for proper supply of water to future generations without contaminating it. We should stop misusing water, manage water usage properly, and maintain the quality of water.
Save Water Essay 3 (200 words)
Water is the precious gift to our life on the earth from the God. According to the availability of the water on earth we can understand the importance of water in our lives. Everything on the earth need water like human beings, animals, trees, plants, insects, and other living things. Balance of water on the earth goes through the process like raining and evaporation. Three-fourth surface of the earth is surrounded by the water however, contains very less percentage of the clean water means fit for human use. So, the problem is with the scarcity of clean water which may end the life here.
Clean water is very essential component of life, so we need to conserve water for the future safety. If we save water; we save life and save whole world on the earth. Water is called as the universal solvent so it is a key component ensures quality of lives. We should join our hands together and take a pledge of using water according to need only without contaminating it. We should save our water from the water pollution by inhibiting the mixing of industrial wastes and other wastes into the water. There should be proper waste management system which must be followed by everyone.
Save Water Essay 4 (250 words)
It is very clear to everyone that water is very necessary for life existence on the earth. Our each and every activity for the life survival is related to the need of water. We are surrounded by the huge water bodies (around three-fourth of the Earth’s surface) on the earth, even after, we are facing water scarcity problem in many regions of India and other countries; because around 97% of the total water on the earth is salt water present in oceans, which is totally not fit for the human consumption. Fresh water is available on the earth only 3% per cent of the total water (of which 70% as ice sheets and glaciers and only 1% is available as clean drinking water means fit for human use).
So, we all must understand the importance of clean water on the earth and try our best to not involve in the water wastage instead involve in saving it. We should save our clean water from the contamination and getting polluted from the waste materials of industries, sewage, toxic chemicals and other wastes. The main reason of water scarcity and clean water contamination is the ever increasing population and rapid industrialization and urbanization. Due to the clean water scarcity, people cannot fulfill their basic needs in the near future. In some of the Indian states (like Rajasthan and some parts of Gujarat) women and girls have to cover long distances to get drinking water. According to the recent study, it has been found that around 25% of the urban population does not have access to the fresh water. We need to join hands together to deal with the clean water scarcity through various best and most suitable methods by making the motto of “Save water, save life, save the world”.
Save Water Essay 5 (300 words)
Save water or conservation of water has been very essential to maintain the existence of life on the earth because no life is possible without water. Water helps in the continuity of life cycle on the earth as an exception in the whole universe as earth is only known planet having water and life. Water is our need throughout the life so only we are responsible to save it. According to the conducted by United Nation, it is found that girls in the Rajasthan do not go to school as they have to go long distances to get water which eats their whole day so they do not get time for other purposes.
According to the survey by the National Crime Records Bureau, it is recorded that around 16,632 farmers (2,369 women) finished their lives through suicide, however, 14.4% cases was because of drought. So we can say that water scarcity is also the reason of illiteracy, suicide, fights and other social issues in India and other developing countries. In such regions of water scarcity, the new generation children are not achieving their basic right to education and right to live happily.
As a responsible citizen of India, we should make ourselves aware about all the problems of water scarcity so that we all may take a pledge and join hands together for water conservation. There is a true saying that a small effort of everyone can give a big result just like many drops of water form a huge water body like pond, river and sea. We do not need to make extra efforts for water conservation, we only need to bring some positive changes in our daily activities like ensure the tight closing of the tap after every use, use of bucket and mug while washing anything or bathing instead of using shower or pipe. A little effort from the end of millions of people can give a big positive result towards the save water campaign.
Save Water Essay 6 (400 words)
Save water is the water conservation through various means on the earth in order to balance life here.
By estimating the very less percentage of safe and drinking water on the earth, water conservation or save water campaign has been compulsory for every one of us. Large water bodies are getting polluted on daily basis by the industrial waste materials. Proper water management systems should be promoted by the builders in all industrial buildings, apartments, school, hospitals, etc to bring more efficiency in the water saving. Awareness programmes should be run to let common people know about the potential problems caused by the drinking or normal water scarcity. There is urgent need to eradicate the people’s attitude about water wastage.
Rainwater harvesting should be initiated by the people at village level. Rain water can be saved by making small or big ponds with proper maintenance. Young students need to be more aware and concentrate on the issues and solutions. Water insecurity and scarcity has affected people’s living in many countries of the developing world. According to the statistics, people’s demand for the water has been six fold in the past century. 40 per cent of the global population is living in the areas of demand outstrips supply. And in the coming decades this situation can be worsened because everything will expand like population, agriculture, industries, etc.
How to Save Water
I have mentioned below some better ways to save water on daily basis:
- People should water their lawn and garden only when they need water.
- Sprinkling is better on the plants than putting more water with pipe which can save more gallons of water per month.
- Planting drought resistant plants is better way to save water.
- Leaky faucets and plumbing joints should be fixed properly to save water leakage which may save around 20 gallons of water per day.
- Use of bucket and mug is good to wash car instead of using pipe which may save up to 150 gallons of water each time.
- Use of flow restrictors to the showers also saves more water.
- Use of fully loaded washing machines and dishwashers saves around 300 to 800 gallons per month.
- Restricting the use of more water per toilet helps in saving more water per day.
- We should wash fruits and vegetables in the water filled pot instead of washing under the running water.
- Rain water harvesting is good idea for the purposes like use in toilet, watering garden, etc so that clean water can be saved for drinking and cooking purposes.
Save Water Essay 7 (1000 words)
As we all know that water gives life to us and other living things on the earth. It is very essential to continue life on the earth and other planets. Without water, we cannot imagine the existence of life on any planet. Earth is the only known planet having water and life till date. So, we should not ignore the importance of water in our life and try our best to save water using every possible means. The earth is covered with around 71% water however with less amount of drinking water. The normal cycle of water balance runs naturally like evaporation and raining. However, the problem is with the saving of safe and drinking on the earth which is available in very less amount. Water conservation is possible with the good habits of the human beings.
Why we should Save Water
In order to know the answer of why we should save water, first we should know the importance of water means how the water is valuable to us in our life. Life is not possible without oxygen, water and food. But most importantly water is most precious in all the three essentials of life. The question is how much pure water we have on the earth.
According to the statistics, it has been estimated that less than 1% of the water on the earth is suitable for drinking. If we estimate the ratio of drinking water and total population of the world, it would be, more than a billion of people all across the world are surviving on 1 gallon of water per day. It has also been estimated that around or more than 3 billion of people would suffer water shortages by 2025.
People have started understanding the value of clean water however not trying completely to save water. Save water is good habit and every one of us should try their best to save water for the continuation of life here. Some years ago, no one was selling water on the shop however time has been changed now a lot and we can see the pure water bottles availability on the shop everywhere. Earlier, people were shocked by seeing water selling on the shop however now, they are ready to buy pure water bottle worth 20 rupees or more for their good health. We can clearly imagine that, in the near future there would be much shortage of clean water all over the world. Below, I have mentioned some facts which let us know that how valuable the clean water is:
- Number of people who are getting die because of water related diseases is more than 4 million.
- Developing countries are highly suffering from the diseases caused by the dirty water and lack of clean water.
- Preparing one day newspaper consumes around 300 liters of water, so other means of news distribution should be promoted.
- Every 15 seconds a small child is dieing of water born diseases.
- People all across the world had started using bottled water worth $60-$80 billion per year.
- People in the rural villages of India, Africa and Asia have to go for long (around 3.7 miles) in order to get drinking water.
- People in India highly suffer various water born diseases which cost the economy of India to a great extent.
Ways to Save Water
I have discussed below some nice ways of saving water without any change in the lifestyle. One person of the home consumes around 240 lt of water per day in the household activities. A small nuclear family with four members consumes around 960 lt of water every day and around 350400 Lt per year. Only 3% of the total water consumption is used for drinking and cooking on daily basis and rest of the water usage in other works like watering plants, toilet, bathing, laundry, showering, etc. Some of the water saving tricks are:
- Everyone should understand the individual responsibility and try to save water from the daily consumption other than drinking and cooking purposes.
- If everyone of us slightly save water from the watering garden, flushing toilet, cleaning purposes, etc, there could be more water saving per day.
- We should save rain water for the purposes like toilet flushing, laundry, watering garden, showering, etc.
- We should save water while using sink, toilet, shower, etc.
- We should make rainwater harvesting to use for purposes other than drinking and cooking.
- We should wash clothes in the washing machine only when it has clothes to its total capacity. In this way, we can save around 4500 liters of water as well as electricity per month.
- We should use bucket while taking bath by avoiding shower which saves around 150-200 liters of water every day.
- We should turn off all the taps tightly after every use which saves more than 200 liters of water every month.
- Everyone should promote playing dry and safe holi to lessen the massive use of water during holi festival.
- We should be aware about the news of people struggling daily for a drop of water for their survival in order to save us from water wastage.
- We should promote the programmes related to the water conservation in order to spread awareness.
- Do not waste more water in the cooler during summer season and use only when required.
- We should not waste water by sprinkling on the lawn, house or street.
- Promote tree plantation during rainy season so that they can get water naturally.
- We should make habit of washing hands, fruits and vegetables in a pan of water or using mug instead of washing under running water.
- We should avoid watering plants during noon time especially from 11 am to 4 pm as they get evaporated. It is good to water plants in the early morning or evening so that plants may consume properly.
- We should promote planting trees which are drought-tolerant.
- We should encourage our family members, children, friends, neighbors and co-workers to do the same from their end to get the positive result.
Article on Save Water
Speech on Save Water
Slogans on Save Water
Paragraph on Save Water
Essay on Water
Rain Water Harvesting Essay
Rainwater Harvesting Speech
Speech on Water